Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Sunday 21 October 2012

Two statement pieces make a declarative

I knew I would wear my red cape today, but, ho-hum, not paired with my black jeggings and square-toe boots as usual. That would have bored me immeeediately, especially since my fingernails-on-chalkboard mood demanded something more irritating. So I decided to pull out the fall/winter/spring/summer colours of my mad thrifted floral pants. I reasoned that one statement piece needs another to achieve full-on declarative effect. The pinks in the trousers and under-T jarred shiveringly with the candy-crunch red of my cape, and the spew of flowers on the trousers grated awfully NICE with the faux leopard trim. Yumm-eew.


Details of the outfit:
  • red wool cape with faux fur trim, thrifted, also worn here
  • Versace floral pants, thrifted, also worn here
  • kitten heel ankle boots, retail
  • pink long-sleeve T, sample sale
  • wool turtleneck, thrifted
  • jewel-encrusted pendant, thrifted, also worn here
  • magic loupe, made for me by O
  • indigo beret, thrifted
Next photo: Flasher! Actually, this is my impression of John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. Stayin' alive, baby. Just stayin' alive - unlike the eviscerated rat close by.


Of course, these are not self portraits - I have Sandra, art project co-conspirator and blogger of Lens is More, to thank for that. We were both feeling low energy today, even after splitting a chocolate croissant and pumpkin scone, so in keeping with the mood we skulked around alleyways for a bit. Too bad (or lucky) Blogger doesn't have scratch and sniff... 

Next stop was Chinatown. I hopped into this shop for the photo op because it embodied that ultra-cool Chinatown vibe. 


Then Sandra scouted the doorway below, which she thought would really set off the cape and pants. I love this location.


Sandra flew low under the radar today but we got a couple of shots of her with graffiti and neon - she knows the locations of the city's best graffiti. I wonder if she'll post any. (Edit: Yes, she put up a couple, including one with graffiti and below is one of her with a Chinatown neon sign.)


On the way home, just when my feet started screaming, "Hey, freakazoid, you're not 20 years old any more, ya know!" a young woman stopped and asked me, "Do you know Bill Cunningham? You remind me of his photos." For those of you not familiar with him, he does street style photography in New York. His work inspired to me do my own street style blog. Suddenly my feet shut up. That's what I call a good day: friends, chocolate, scones, art, and making it home without a single blister with Mr. C. on my mind.

I'm hooking this up to Patti's Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style, her fantastic blog. I look forward to visiting everyone, especially now that I have a little more breathing space.

PS: I wrote this Saturday just after my outing so when I say "today" I really mean Saturday.

Your Comments on the Last Post

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback on the questions I raised in the last post, particularly, what is "too far"? Your comments for me are what gave this post life. I liked the photo shoot, sure, but I enjoyed reading your views even more. I like to think anything goes and there is no such thing as too far. I am trying to achieve that as a state of mind in everything I wear and I am so thankful for the spectrum of styles you share in your blogs - so much inspiration.


43 comments:

  1. Lovely cape, it is huhh, very regal, the red and the ermine-like fur. The graffitti backgrouds are really good, the photos have a lot of colour and it all seems to come together perfectly!
    It's always nice to hear compliments from strangers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill Cunningham-tastic!!!What a great photoshoot, Sandra is so talented and your outfit colours perfectly match the backgrounds!The Chinatown vibes are amazing to frame your cape and floral trousers and all this post makes me want to come immediately to New York!
    Have a great week!
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here you go again being the most FABULARSE LIVING ART.

    I LOVE this cape and the floral pants - and together they say "HELLO, EXCUSE ME, FUCK OFF, HA HA, TRA LA LA, I AM THE BOSS OF THE WORLD, BUY ME A COCKTAIL!" That's what I hear, anyway!

    I love the locations - and your friend has some kick-arse rockstar hair.

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another joyous and inspirational look Melanie. Your photos are amazing and your writing always makes me happy. You are a true inspiration. And yes, I agree. Bill Cunningham would certainly have wanted to photograph you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fabulousness in one outfit. So much life and movement! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you may have been feeling "nails on a chalkboard" when you put this together, but damn, it's a harmonious cacophony. I just want to drink in all of that color. I love the graffiti backgrounds, but the photo in the doorway is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice, the photos and the thrifted Versace pants. Love the neon behind your friend's head.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rah, rah, rah, rah, staying aliiiive...oh, no it's in my head, bobbing around. Man, it's like the first time you saw Technicolor at the movies! I do love the Vancouver city map umbrellas floating in the store window next to your doorway shot. Fabulosity everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh love this look! A red cape with faux fur is fabulous - and I once had a pair of (thrifted) Versace trousers and I re-thrifted them (foolish me!). Thanks for sharing the joy with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spew of flowers...love that!!! Totally digging that cape especially with the insane pants, it would have been a total crime to play it down with some plain ol' black leggings, why just be admired for one thing?
    You so belong in that shop, they should pay you for being there. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. you always make me smile. Your outfit reminds me of a good old fashioned English trifle. Lots of layers and colour clashes leading to something (sartorially) fruity and delicious. The China town back drops are wonderful. Especially that minty door way framed in red.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't say it much better than Clare just has really. The amazing cape atop the crazy floral trousers was a genius idea, and the pic by the doorway is perfect. I can almost smell the dead rat in the alleyway, ha!
    Friends DO make a day better, don't they? I went out this morning with my mate Jo feeling a bit fingernail/blackboard/scratchy, and came back in a much better frame of mind. Reading my favourite blogs has much the same effect - thank you for the pick-me-up! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Melanie, what a really cool fashion artist you are! I always look forward to seeing what you are up to. The graffiti backgrounds are so perfect with your outfit, which is as creative and amazing as always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those leggings are the perfect burst of crazy color that outfit needs and china town is always the perfect backdrop in any town. Sandra is a much sexier version of John Jett if you ask me:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Melanie this post got my heart racing!!! it is fabulous...the merging of fashions + true street locations into breath taking art pieces...oh the one of you, your outfit in that doorway...that is true art to my soul!

    I just watched the documentary on Bill, what a visionary...but I felt him to have a such sadness about him. I would so love to have the courage to shoot street style...sometimes I see people that just so want to document...I am working on my street 'confidence'!

    Thank you for this Fabulous post my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If Cruella Deville were a cheerful animal lover she would dress like this! And the Chinatown setting is perfect! Isn't Bill Cunningham amazing? You are so brave. It is difficult to photograph strangers. You have my extreme admiration.
    Connie*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a post Mélanie ma chère! - Love all that is going on there- the styling, the colors, the backdrops and you! you make quite a statement in the first shot, that red cape is spectacular! where in God did you get that cape, I want it so bad!

    Ariane xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that someone referenced Bill Cunningham when they saw you - you would definitely have been snapped by him if you lived in New York! Great location shooting, especially the red and turquoise doorway, and that is one HOLYCRAPONACRACKER of an outfit!! You always inspire me to push the envelope, and I agree with you, reading the comments from all of you on my blog is such a pick-me-up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me gusta visitar tu blog, eres muy original, creativa y tienes intuición para la moda que expresa sensaciones y hace pensar, vestirse es un arte para mi, besos ana.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So I think this is one of my favorite blog posts to date. I love the cape, love the declarations. The outfit a thesis in itself is postulating that more is more, and your thoughtful always spirited carriage drives home the point that stylish looks best of the folks who make a conscious effort to live fully.

    And the quote: "Do you know Bill Cunningham? You remind me of his photos." Best line ever.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how you become one with the art creation in your mind.
    So fabulous and unique aproach to fashion, my dear Melanie.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh so much drama and color! The graffiti, China Town, bright cape and crazy mad floral pants. I'm glad to see brights and florals haven't disappeared for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the pants in ALL the pics, but the cape should only be worn in the Chinese shop. As for grating your nails on a chalkboard, surely the stranger's Bill Cunningham statement made it all worth it. And Sandra looks, well, impish.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, you are a wardrobe artist extraordinaire. The cape is fabulous, I love the leopard trim.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're so risky, brave, and colorful. I admire you endlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is what I need to do more often -- pair statement pieces with other statement pieces instead of those boring old neutrals!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Damn. I guess I just need to be in more "nails-down-the-blackboard" moods if this is the result!!!! Uber styley and the locations are extraordinary. You never, ever disappoint, oh Gorgeous One. I'm glad someone was able to testify to that while you were out and about.

    Hugs to you and Sandra, the truly dynamic duo.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love how awesome this outfit looks against all of the colourful backdrops! So fab.

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG OMG OMG I LOVE THIS CAPE!!!!
    AND I LOVE THE SHOTS OF YOU IN THE SHOP AND THE DOOR WAY!!!
    I'M SHOUTY BECUASE I LIKE THEM SO MUCH AND I AM SQUEEING QUITE MADLY!!!
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so editorially beautiful! I especially love the play with the door/green building. Marvelous choice. I used to think every outfit needed a basic and statement. Sometimes pairing two statement makes a much more cohesive balance.

    ReplyDelete
  31. AWWWWWW, I just can not describe how I like the one you were in front of the green door!
    It's just perfect match! Zen still passionate.

    Sometimes self-portrait can give you surprise. :)
    Like my gostly movement pic.

    ReplyDelete
  32. your cape is lovely but I have to admit your pants had stolen my heart away

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog

    ReplyDelete
  33. "Yumm-eew" is my new favourite (declarative) expression! My soul belongs to your Versace floral pants, and to your friendship with your partner in crime, whose hair deserves its own theme song and smoke machine. The settings are worthy of this incredible ensemble, no easy feat.

    Happy for your great day!

    ReplyDelete
  34. OOO Melanie--I LOVE this!! You look like a fabulous mixed media collage!!!
    I may have to dress conservative in my real life but I live vicariously through people like you--my outside says business conservative dull but my insides are wearing leopard with floral and a tulle ballet skirt and go-go boots!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The colours in this post are the best! I love the graffiti background, the Chinese doorway and shop, the fabulous cape and those awesome trousers! I do have to say, the graffiti makes such a great background, I may have to copy you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Cute floral pants! painted you? and coat... you are the artist Riding Hood, I love this red coat!
    www.clubmujeresreales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Girlfriend, art woman, you are "all that." Yes'm. I LOVE the grating effect!! It's simply loverly!! The doorway shot is awesome. What an eye to get that one in. And you made me laugh with the scratch and sniff comment!

    xoxo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the combination and the photo shoot locations, each and every one. Your declaration is appreciated and I admire what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  39. If only I had half your kick-ass nerve ... love that cape ... love it all - as ever! M x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wonderful! The locations manage to enliven the outfit -- can't believe I just wrote that, given how, um, lively the outfit already is. . .

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your photos are perfect. You can wear anything and make it look fabulous, but these pieces are fabulous in their own right. Combining them just takes their fabulous level to infinity.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Stunning cape & I love the massive rolled cuff on your pants

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've re-posted one of your images (and credited you) ...

    http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com/2012/11/oh-how-i-miss-you-blogfest-and-fridays.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...